Airdrie House, Fife - Bought by John "Lummysden", a cadet of the Blanerne line, in 1450 and remained in the family until 1605
Airdrie House consists of a 16th century tower which was extended in the 18th century.
The lands of Airdrie are mentioned in the late 12th century when William de Beauair granted land at Airdrie to the Priory of May.
In January 1431 James I confirmed an earlier grant by his late brother, David, Duke of Rothesay (who died in 1402), to Richard de Spaldyne of all of his lands of Lunlethyn, and of Cragon in Angus and all of his lands of Ardaray and Invergelli in Fife.
At some point during the 15th century Richard de Spaldyne or Richard Spalding of Airdrie, Lamlethan and Innergellie sold his part of Airdrie to John Lummysden of Glengyrnoch, a descendant of the family of Lumsdaine of Lumsdaine.
In October 1481 John Lummisdene de Ardery received from James Rinde de Broxmouth the quarter part of the lands of Ardere, the superiority of the lands of Lathame and Redewellis, and the one-sixteenth part of the lands of Innergelly in exchange for the quarter part of the lands of Lunlethin.
In June 1582 James Lummisden of Ardrie and his wife, Euphemia Dowglass, were granted a sasine of the eighth and sixteenth parts of the lands of Innergellye which were formerly held by William Lummisden, rector of Cleisch, and alienated by him to Thomas Lummisden of Ardrie in a charter by Archbishop Adamson.
Towards the end of the 16th century James Lumsden, son of John Lumsden of Blanerne, married the heiress of the lands of Airdrie, presumably also a Lumsden, and from them descended the Lumsdens of Innergellie, Airdrie, Strathvithie and Mountquhannie.
In 1598 James VI granted to Robert Lummisden, brother of James Lummisden of Ardrie, and his wife, Isobel Cor, various lands including the eight and sixteenth parts of of the lands of Innergellie.
Some time before 1614 Elizabeth Turnbull, daughter of William Turnbull of Airdrie, married John Prestoun, son of Sir John Prestoun of Fentonbarns. Through his wife he took possession of the lands of Auchie in Fife where he built a new mansion house, Prestonhall, although he was known as Sir John Prestoun of Airdire.
In October 1623 the one-eighth and one-sixteenth parts of Innergellie, including the mills, fisheries and charcoals previously owned by James Lumsden of Airdrie, were included amongst various parcels of land where were erected into the free burgh of barony of Innergellie in favour of William Barclay of Innergellie and Margaret Borthwick by John Spottiswood, Archbishop of St Andrews.
Around 1631 Sir James Lumsdaine of Airdrie, who held a commission as a Colonel in the army of Gustavus Adolphus, King of Sweden, bought Innergellie from William Barclay, son of William Barclay and Margaret Borthwick, sold Innergellie to . He married Christian Rutherford of Hunthill who in 1635 was infeft in an annuity from Invergellie, presumably while her husband was serving abroad. The following year Sir James’s holdings in the parish of Kilrenny were valued at £2400.
In September 1665 the second son of Colonel Lumsdaine and Christian Rutherford, Robert Lumsdaine of Strathvethie, married Helen Preston, youngest daughter of the late Sir John Preston of Airdrie. In November 1670 of that year his eldest daughter, Jean Lumsdaine, eldest daughter of Sir James Lumsdaine the younger and granddaughter of Colonel Lumsdaine and Christian, married Helen’s brother, also Sir John Preston of Airdrie.
Later in the 17th century Sir James Anstruther, son of Sir Philip Anstruther of Anstruther, was the owner of Airdrie.